Monday, November 2, 2009

The Dulins Weren't Built For Speed

For the first time in my three years as a New Yorker, I'd never seen the NYC Marathon in person. This year, we managed to lift our Halloween-Hungover Heads off of the pillow and wander down to Bedford Avenue to cheer on my dear friend Gwen in her first ever marathon.

Gwen's decision to run the marathon began last year when she was met with hilarious opposition from our friend Raf. Gwen took her chance to prove Raf wrong and put all of her effort into training and raising money for the Michael J. Fox foundation. This was made even more personal by the effects that Parkinson's Disease has effected her own family. Just last year, Gwen's dad was diagnosed with a form of it. This marathon was more than getting up early to jog the neighborhood and staying on a healthy diet. Gwen has worked hard to meet this goal and she f*cking did it.I've never been so proud of any of my friends. And no, it's not just because I get breathless at the top of stairs. It's not that the thought of running makes my stomach turn or that I can't even touch my toes. Gwen pushed herself to complete a very big personal goal and I couldn't be more proud of her!

Go Sports! Go Gwen!!

No comments: