Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Not so much down with the Roman shoe as I'm down with normal shoes.


Roman shoes. Really? I think these are absurd. I suppose when it comes right down to it, so are most shoes and their various shades and styles.

Flip Flops... All they do is hang from your feet and provide no support or protection from any elements found on the ground. And for that matter, they flop. But are they awesome? Yes.

Pump-it-up Basketball sneakers. Again, a shoe I don't understand. Awesome? Yes. Functional? I don't know, I'll have to ask someone who plays sports.

High-heeled shoes. A shoe I fear I will never get down with. Your feet were not meant to walk like that and certainly do not support you in your human frame. Perhaps I am adamantly opposed to this shoe because I've never learned to walk in them. I'm okay with this fact.

Crocs. I'm no fashionista, but I'm pretty sure that no one over the age of 4 should be doning this style.

But Roman Shoes. Seriously. Look at them. Take a good, long look. This is the most absurd thing I've ever seen. Yes, they're sandals. Yes, they provide air ventilation. Yes, they're...."shoes." But why are we wearing these? What's more, why are we wearing the ones that lace up to just below the knee? I saw a girl balancing herself against a wall on the platform this morning who was lacing them up over her jeans.

I'm sure this is harkening back the days of yore, a mere twenty years ago when we thought it was cool to wear stirrup pants and Keds and neon hats with stretchy overalls. But what's frightening is, I'm seeing this style now too. We didn't have enough styles to breathe life into, we had to bring back a shoe that Roman soldiers wore? Really?

I'm thouroughly perplexed.

No comments: