Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Judas Got a Bad Rap

This morning I resurrected, (too soon?) my mom's vinyl of Jesus Christ Superstar and did some rocking out. Every time I listen to this soundtrack, I'm finding myself gravitating towards the track "Heaven On Their Minds." First of all, it's an amazing song. Movie-Judas did such a better job than Album-Judas. Yet I'm already digressing.

I firmly believe that Judas got a bad rap. Okay, okay... I know what you're going to say. "But what about the whole selling Jesus out to the Romans thing?" Okay, I'll admit that was a little shady. But quite honestly, Judas had Jesus' back up until that point.

Judas did nothing but believe in Jesus' word and truth. He pushed Jesus to be a better man and warned him to stay on target, to not let his celebrity persona override the real message. The followers, literally, had too much Heaven on their minds. Instead of preaching the message and trying to do good in the world, they followed Jesus and held him above all.

Yet when he was caught, (okay, be it Judas that led him to this), his followers turned on him. Judas never stopped believing that what they were fighting for was for truth and understanding. He just thought Jesus was not doing what he set out to do. And when Judas got to his wits' end, he commited an act of betrayal. But can you imagine believing in your message so much and seeing it begin to unravel? Not only that, but feeling like your leader isn't doing all that he can? You'd get angry too.

And if you disagree with this, that's cool too. Neither one of us were there, so I can't really argue with you. Regardless, please enjoy, "Heaven On Their Minds."



Plus Movie-Judas is smokin' hot, one thing he was never found guilty of.

No comments: