Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I Was Just In The Neighborhood


As an avid Television viewer, I'd like to pull the plug on an issue that's been plaguing me. We're all aware of the phrase, "I was just in the neighborhood." Friends seem to say it all the time when popping in. Men say it to women who stand at the door in their bathrobes as they conveniently show up for bed time. Mother-in-laws say this when they stop by with freshly-made cakes.

Now, I'm not doubting that people unexpectedly stop by to say hello. I guess what I'm saying is, no one in New York stops by to say hello.

The characters of Seinfeld seem to do this with great ease. They flock to Jerry's apartment from all over Manhattan. They come bearing clever anecdotes and shocking replies received from snarky Deli owners. They burst in without removing their coats, deliver their latest news and are out the door in less than five minutes.

I have friends in Manhattan that I enjoy seeing. You know what I do when I get there? I ask if I can stay over. It's quite a haul to get places in the city. You're battling sometimes-working trains, overcrowded buses, expensive cab rides and let's not get into the weather. Once I get there, I'm ready to settle in with a drink, maybe some dinner... Any good movies on?

Perhaps this is combined with the fact that I live in Brooklyn and certain luxuries like 24 hour drug stores are only found in Manhattan. Some weekends I question if I can do without soap until Monday. More often than not, I do. If people like Elaine and George can travel great distances just to deliver a message, then I'm clearly out of my league here.

If you get a text that says, "I was just in the neighborhood and decided not to stop" then you know why.


1 comment:

Ryan Green said...

not to mention, would you even answer your door if someone knocked on it? i know i wouldn't. as a matter of fact, it's happened before and abe and i sat frozen whispering "you get it, no you get it, i'm not going to answer, you get it". i think it was probably the exterminator, but he should know to buzz first or something.