Tuesday, August 18, 2009

When May I Call On You?

With my newly piqued interest in the world of the occult and my desire to prolong my denial that I, in fact, do not secretly wish to be a Vampire, I decided to give True Blood a taste.

First thoughts? I honestly don't know. Once I got past the fact that no one can play Southerners, not even Southerners, it became easier to stomach their botched Louisiana garbled language. Anna Paquin, (whom I have peed next to, I'll have you know) won a Golden Globe for this. My question is this: Really? I mean, she's adorable and all. While I enjoy that she's not playing it too dark and mysterious and in the constant need of saving, she's a bit too bubbly and pony tail flipping for my taste.

Stephen Moyer on the other hand... Holy Hot Tamale. His British tongue has sufficiently licked the underbelly of the swampy Louisiana terrain. With his smoldering undead eyes and his ability to always remain in fantastic lighting, I'm fully on board for what his character has to offer. And no, this is not in the interest of my, "Wouldn't it be cool to be alive forever" thing.

Sookie's best friend Tara enjoys pulling the Julia ala Designing Women card every other act while delivering a not so eloquent, "Go fuck yourself, I'm black!" speech. While I might be able to appreciate more if she wasn't channeling Wanda Sykes, I just can't quite buy certain aspects about her character. And while we're on that subject, what's going on with Sookie's pervy brother? Let's chat. Sookie's grandmother? Is she the beacon of murder updates in the town? She bursts in every other scene after an alarming phone call from a neighbor.

As for the rest of the show, I was honestly hoping for better writing from Alan Ball. I mean, this man did write Six Feet Under and American Beauty. (A quick trip to IMDB also told me that he was the story editor for Grace Under Fire...also a great show.) I enjoy that it's not pretentious in its exposition. They give you the story without sugaring its devices and breaks it out honestly. But still... I mean, come on, it's a little silly. (I did just read all four volumes of Twilight, so perhaps I shouldn't hate so much.)

That being said, I woke up with a strong desire to watch the rest of the season. Perhaps it's my call of the nightlife, perhaps it's my itch for immortality. Count me in, True Blood. Let's see what'cha got.

Now enjoy the opening credits. Some might say, (I might say) it's better than the show.

5 comments:

Justin Shaddix said...

Ok, so I watched this for the first time this past Sunday and I thought it was awful. I didn't feel drawn in or interested in anything. I sort of get some of the stuff they're trying to do...but it just feels uncomfortable and forced.

Anonymous said...

You mean Bill Compton. He's the sexy vampire. Jason Stackhouse is Sookie's brother.

You are in for a treat, sister. Season 2 is so good! Keep watching.

Ryan Green said...

Just finished the first season and totally love it. However, Stephen Moyer is sooooo not hot to me. It drives me crazy that he's supposed to be so good looking. He makes a decent gentlemanly vampire, but I am not into his looks.

isaacwayton said...

It took me a good 4 episodes to really start caring about anyone in this show. I usually give series like this 3-4 episodes before I will completely dismiss them. True Blood barely made my must watch TV list. Now, that's just the beginning of season 1. Katie, if you stick with the show, you'll be in for a real fun ride. I'll admit that this is nothing more than a vampire soap opera, but I'm hooked.

Season 1 ends with a bang and Season 2 is completely addictive. There are so many more interesting elements in this series than vampires, just wait for the story to unfold.

Plus, I like all the boobs. There...I said it.

beacon brothers said...

the second season will blow your mind. all over greg's lap.