Monday, January 12, 2009

The Clark Kent Phenomenon


I've never quite understood the confusion that people have with Superman and Clark Kent. He doesn't morph into a different person when he resumes his role as Superman. He merely takes his glasses off and his hair becomes slightly more buoyant. That's it. That's the only difference between Superman and Clark Kent.

However, recently I've discovered that people don't readily recognize me when I'm wearing my glasses. I'm perplexed. My clothes aren't different. My hair is usually the same, give or take a bobby pin or pony tail. That's it. Glasses on. Glasses off. All of a sudden, I'm a nerdier version of my former fabulous self.

Do my glasses warrant me the ability to shape shift? Have my molecules combined to form this different variety of human? Am I the star of an 80's Cinderella film? By day, a nerdy assistant combs the streets of New York, her talents unnoticed, her glasses...fogged. By night with glasses discarded, she's quickly discovered as the underground writer for the hit series, Jem: The Comeback.

Perhaps not readily recognizing someone is merely something to say. Something to cover up the fact that you can't remember someone's name. Maybe you've only met them once and you know you're supposed to recognize them, but can't. This morning I greeted a client I should have immediately recognized in the lobby with, "Oh, Nick...I didn't recognize you with that...scarf."

Though I'm not quite sure the same thing can be said for Clark Kent and Superman. I'm just going to go ahead and assume that anyone who thinks my glasses stand in the way clearly hasn't heard my new hit song, "I Can't See Without My Glasses."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I experience this all the time as well.

Incidentally, the glasses pictured are very similar to the Ralph Lauren glasses I just purchased and was just describing to you via e-mail.

That's hot.