Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"Get Off My Letterhead!!"

As I've said, the office I'm working in is a shared space. Traders, real estate agents, money lenders, and us....

For the past few days I've been listening to this angry Jewish man with a thick New York accent shouting on the phone. Yesterday, I actually paused work to listen to a ten minute converation in which this gentleman took care of some bidness.

"I don't care! I QUIT! I don't have the money. You talk to Rudy! ....RUDY! YOU TALK TO HIM. I don't have your money. I don't want your money. I QUIT! I QUIT! I QUIT! TALK TO RUDY! I QUIT! I don't want your business. I don't want your money. I want you out! I'm done! I'm through! I'm finished! I quit! I QUIT! I want you off my letterhead. GET OFF MY LETTERHEAD! Yoooooooooooou don't OWN ME!! GET OFF MY LETTERHEAD!!"

He finished the conversation with a series of, "I QUIT! I QUIT!I QUIT! I QUIT! I QUIT!" Delivered in the exact tone and inflection each time. This man was on a roll. My only question is, what was happening on the other end of the phone? Was that person shouting back? Or was this man just plain crazy?

I QUIT! I QUIT! I QUIT! I QUIT!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When i worked for a Swiss investment bank (needless to say, a very strange period in my life) I regularly had to replace the phones on the trading floor. The traders were regularly shattering the receivers when they were angry.