Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes We Did


"Yes We Did" seemed to be resounding phrase last night. "Yes We Did" could be heard shouted on every street while walking home after watching the most historic Presidential election ever.

As soon as Ohio went blue, the first bottle of champagne was popped. At eleven o'clock when CNN came back from commercial and the picture of Obama was flashed up on the screen, screams were heard everywhere. I ran out onto my friend Matt's rooftop and shouted, "Obama's the fucking president!!!!" Cars were honking, people were cheering. "Yes We Did" seemed to be a universal proclaimation.

I am so fortunate, so proud, so honored to have even been alive when this change happened. I am filled with so much hope for not only my life, but for the lives of generations yet to come. My kids will grow up in a world where equality is not just a level to strive for, but a normal part of their lives.

Watching Obama's acceptance speech in a room full of friends, my heart swelled. The future, sir, is looking very bright. I'm honored to be a citizen of this country. I can't wait to be a part of the change that will come in due time.

High five, America. High fucking five.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not. So. Fast.

It's great that Obama is our new president, and I have no doubt that he'll go a long way to repairing the damages that have been caused to our country over the past eight years.

But some of us didn't get to celebrate on Wednesday. While American citizens were taking a major step forward in terms of civil rights for African Americans, they voted to shit on the gays and lesbians by stripping away their civil rights.

In summary, some of still aren't citizens of our own country, no matter who the president is. Please help your gay friends in their struggle:

http://tarhearted.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/11/more-proposition-h8-stuff.html