Monday, November 10, 2008

Jello Eyes

After the first month on the job, I quickly discovered that I needed to have cable installed. It's been eight years without cable and I can't say that I've been missing it. I've always enjoyed a handful of channels but never paid for cable for the simple reason that four good channels don't outweigh 150 channels of bad.

Last weekend I broke down and had it installed in my one room palace and I can't say that I've been enjoying it. I will say, that you learn to appreciate how much money this feet of technology is and you find yourself watching it more than you need to.

Case in point, last night I sat up watching Kill Bill II on TBS. I own this movie. At any point, I could've cut through the foreplay and just put the DVD in. But no, like an idiot I sat up watching this until 1am, commercials and all. Why? Because it was on. It's too expensive to not have it on. Is this really a great reason to watch television? No, but it's the cheap skate mindset that I've adopted.

But two things I realized last night:
1) Kill Bill II is better than Kill Bill I. Every time I watch this movie, I love Bill more and more and I'm sad when he dies at the end. If I've given anything away, you've been living under a rock.
2) Late night infomercials are hi-larious. I learned that I can cash in my gold jewelry that's been lying around. In this day and age, who knew you could just mail it in? To tell you the truth, I'd rather do my gold trading in person, but perhaps that's just me.

Do yourself a favor and don't purchase cable. You will waste hours of your life thinking that you're missing out on things by not watching it, when really you've forgotten to get up to eat dinner. Absolutely ridiculous. Go read a book.

*Note to reader: I now work in cable.

1 comment:

RICK said...

I don't want cable. For too many years I had too much of it (working for the cable company granted me free "super-cable" where they give you literally every channel) and now I'm happy to have none (and in HD!). But there's one problem. Right now I have semi-shitty wireless DSL (available only in Nashville!) and really really want lush cable internet. The problem: if you get cable internet without cable TV it costs 50% more and is only 75% as fast.

Which is lame.

So looks like I to will soon be enjoying the spoils of Kill Bill Volume 2 avec commercials (sidebar: I wouldn't say vol 2 is better than vol 1, but I would say it is fantastic in a completely unrelated way).