Saturday, September 6, 2008

Blast That Unrequited Fictional Love!

Although summer time really isn't the best season to watch the film "Little Women," I've found it's an excellent movie to craft to. What an amazing story guided soulfully by the lovely works of Winona Ryder, Claire Danes, (fresh from My So-Called Life no less), and the wonderful Susan Sarandon. And Christin Bale...his foxiest role yet.

But after as many times as I've seen this movie, I can't help but wish Amy March would fall off of a cliff. What a lousy character. She was a snooty little brat when Kirsten Dunst played her and she was a misplaced pseudo french impressionist when Samantha Mathis stepped in.

Every time I watch Laurie finally proposing marriage to Jo by the fence and they share their spit-infested kiss, I keep longing for Jo to say yes. Joe was the only one to accept Laurie in all of his misguided, musical induced life choices and encouraged him to be his bold self, just as he did for her. What a perfect match! If only Jo hadn't been so unsure of herself and wished she were the opposite from the vivacious out-spoken character we love her for.

But no...instead he ends up with Amy. Bane of my existence. Her whiny flouncing about hills toting her umbrella. Doesn't she know she came from the transcendentalist family from Concord? Get with it.

Okay, fine. Gabriel Bryne was better suited for the wild and intellectual Jo, but curses if he isn't the poor man's Laurie. I'm sure I'll watch this again come Christmas time and think the same thing. Curses, Amy March, you know nothing about love.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think you're forgetting about Newsies...