Thursday, September 4, 2008

Four Hundred Thousand Years of Solitude and How I Found Myself Unemployed

So it appears the rumors of the impending unemployment in my company were true. Somehow travel, poker, drinking and four-star dining shows in HD just don't have the appeal it used to. The news finally broke that our network was kaput. So yesterday turned out to be my last at the place I've called work for more than a year. At 9:30am I heard the news and at 3pm, we were at White Horse Tavern clinking glasses and wishing we had yearbooks to sign.

It was truly the oddest day. It ended much like any last day of high school would. I walked around the office watching people packing up their desks and putting away pictures. We tried to say our goodbyes to the ones that were staying as quickly as we could. I'm privileged to have worked with the best, most creative, most interesting people possible. Honestly, aside from losing my job, this will be the most difficult thing to get over. The loss of great and amazing friends to spend your entire day with.

It was weird, to say the least, to wake up this morning and not have anywhere to be. Or to watch the news past 8:30. (Note to self: News past 8:30 just isn't as pertinent) I think by Monday, I will have already lost my mind out of boredom. So in this period of reflection in the "What the Next Chapter of My Life" includes... perhaps I can hop on the following:

--Finally start and finish Moby Dick.
--Teach myself how to rewire a turntable.
--Get really into day drinking.
--Write that screenplay.
--Alphabetize my media.
--Befriend Netflix and talk about Netflix like it's a person.
--Practice making impractical things like Fondant.
--Start a neighborhood watch, Jimmy Stewart-style.
--Feng Shui my apartment.
--Start collecting antique dolls and porcelain cats.

Yeah...I'm pretty certain my mind will be lost come Monday morning.

2 comments:

Greg Volk said...

If you're taking input, I vote for the screenplay thing and the Netflix thing. Maybe combine the two?

Anonymous said...

It's WEIRD here.

Please Netflix "The Baby". You won't regret it.