Wednesday, September 17, 2008

No-stal-gia... That Must Be Italian.

I got into some amazing home video action the other day. I found two video tapes from '98-'00 and it was chock-full of plays, choir concerts, marching band competitions, parades...

The best footage hands down, had to be the Choir Review. Holy God. We spanned the genres of music and emotion. There was a tribute to America for Pete's sake. We were swaying in the dark with light-up battery operated candles singing "God Bless America." We sang maritime songs, the National Anthem...we asked people to rise to their feet as the American Flag was lowered on stage.

The most amazing part of this Review was watching the close-up's of me, (this was of course filmed by my mother) and realizing how much of a ham I was. I was so into it. I didn't get a solo in the Porgy and Bess portion of the evening, but I did score a spot in the rocking chair next to my friend Erin who sang, "Summertime" while holding a plastic shiny baby. I rocked in slow motion, waving a lace fan while Liz, an equal ham, dramatically acted out the scrubbing of our poor southern foyer.

Did I mention there was a "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" number? There was. And I was fully absorbed into the swing/ska movement at the time. I was the only female onstage who twisted and turned and squinched my face up just emoting the energy and power of the 1940's.

God bless America! God bless high school!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I didn't get a solo in the Porgy and Bess portion of the evening."

It's hilarious that nobody saw the irony in there being a Porgy and Bess portion. Did you do it in black face?