Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Here Lies Richie. Pepperoni and Cheesy.


I've been hooked this week on Midlake's album 'The Trials of Van Occupanther.' Though Gina played this for me last year, it's made quite a comeback in my stereo this week.


The coolest part? It's a concept album based on the computer game Oregon Trail. I was in love with this game in the third grade. I was an amazing hunter and somehow always got my family's wagon safely across the river. Midlake's album is truly fantastic in that if you listen to it thinking of this game, you will totally be taken through the hillsides, rugged terrain and white rapids. You will trade flour for oxen!


It's amazing when you get hooked on an album and then realize something special about it and it completely changes things. Like that time I heard that Neutral Milk Hotel's album was based on the diary of Anne Frank. I had brain synapses explode upon that discovery.

1 comment:

Greg Volk said...

Things I dig:

- This post and that Midlake album.
- NMH's ITAOS
- The new layout.