Friday, August 15, 2008

Just Admit It. People Falling Down is Hilarious.



People falling down. It's just funny.

The greatest part about watching people fall down, is watching true humility in action. I was walking to work this morning and witnessed a girl in front of me trip over a crack in the sidewalk. She stumbled and lurched forward, catching herself and continued on her way. Only she started swinging her arms like she meant to do that. It's just great.

Okay, sure...falling down isn't funny when you get hurt. When I was in high school, we'd sit outside in the quad to eat our lunch even when it was freezing. We'd watch kid after kid walk out of the doors and step on the same patch of ice, their cafeteria tray would go flying. And we'd laugh and laugh. Some may call this mean...okay, it was a little mean. But it was downright hilarious.

In college, I lived in an old house with two other girls. We called it the Eurohouse because it looked like a Flat that kept going up three stories. At the top of the stairs, the steps got more and more narrow, to the point that you couldn't put your whole foot on one step. My favorite past time was sitting on the couch at the bottom of the stairs and watching my roommate Gina run up the stairs with her socks on and fall. I laughed every time, I couldn't help myself. I laughed so hard that it would spawn the silent treatment. And I got my own one day when I was laying on the living room floor and the television fell on me. That's right, just toppled over, crushing my legs. I laughed at the absurdity of the situation until I was crying. Gina, sitting in the next room refused to come and help me or feel sorry for me. I asked for it.

Other people must find falling down hilarious because they put it in movies all the time. Have you noticed how many romantic comedies include actresses falling over? Surely this categorizes them as the kooky, absent adorable character who has no time or patience to pay attention to where she's going. Need an example? Any Amanda Bynes movie or television show.

How bout any 90's romantic comedy that takes place in a high school setting? Bitches be falling all over the place. Is it an epidemic? Do people honestly have that much trouble walking? Keeping their cool? I find it hard to believe that Directors can't think of any line of dialogue that would keep the notion of this character afloat other than having her plummet down the stairs.

My point is, as odd as this phenomenon of falling down is, it still works. And as dumb as it is to show the hot-dorky girl falling down at her Senior Prom and still managing to win the heart of the popular jock and being crowned Prom Queen...no matter how many times you make her fall, I will be the first one to slap my knee.

No comments: