Friday, August 15, 2008

No, You Are. Uh Uh!


Okay, what's the deal with people protesting this movie?

I get it, you know... I don't think using words to label mentally or physically handicap people are appropriate or for that matter even funny. But I'm finding it odd that people are just becoming aware of large minority groups who are being picked on.

Do you know how many years people have been making fun of other people? For forever. Do I think that's right? No. Will I go see this movie? No. But on the same token, Ben Stiller movies make me insane. I find myself so tense the entire time that I can't bring myself to laugh at the humor of it all. While these plot lines would never happen in real life, I find myself at the end of the movie, clenching my fists just waiting for a resolution.

But going back to my point. There are a million reasons why I could state that protesting this movie is ridiculous. For one, it's free speech. That's what our country is founded on. Two, it's just a movie. You don't want to go see it, don't. You don't want to hear the radio, then fucking turn it off. Three, do you know how many movies, books and songs have set themselves out to demonize an entire nation and make people feel uncomfortable with their in-your-face opinions? A lot. A whole heck of a lot.

Should people get offended at other people's opinions? Yes. Get mad, you're absolutely entitled to it. Do I get angry when I see things in our world that I don't agree with? I'm irate. Yeah, some things really do need protesting. Like, say...the war we're currently in. Or....people living in boxes on our streets. Or world hunger. Or Polar Bears drowning. Or our President trying to take away women's rights to particular health care. All of these things, I'd be willing to march out in the street over.

But a comedy about three idiots meandering through the jungle, making fun of themselves and each other...c'mon. Yeah, they say some inappropriate things. The world is a weird place and people are a part of it. Maybe they shouldn't use those terms in the movie, but I'm not sure people should take it so seriously. After all, it's a comedy. And is everyone so blithely unaware that Robert Downey Jr. is playing this role in Blackface? Honestly! People are upset because they use a terrible slang word, but no..."That dude that played Iron Man is now playing a Black Man. Can you believe that's him? Fuckin' sick, bra."

People are ridiculous. You're better off watching cartoons.

No comments: